We are absolutely delighted to announce that we have secured a long lease on our Exchange Place Studios building in Sheffield’s historic Castlegate. Huge thanks goes out to Sheffield City Council and to Arts Council England for making this possible.
The 6 storey building, facing Victoria Quays, was built in 1926 as a showroom and news depot for WH Smith, one of the first steel framed buildings in Sheffield with an attractive main façade clad in art deco faiençe tiles. The whole of the top floor was a café, the most fashionable place to seen in Sheffield in the 1920s.
As part of the continued refurbishment of the building we will replace the windows, renew the roof and gently clean the faiençe tiles to remove decades of grime. Better public access to the exhibition spaces is being created along with out of hours access to the studios for wheelchair users.
Exchange Place Studios provides affordable workspace to 85 artists and makers, from painters and printers to jewellers and woodworkers, the pioneers of the creative resurgence of the historic Castlegate area of Sheffield.